If you’re a Christian woman who has grown up in church, attended girl’s bible studies and retreats, read the How To Be Good Christian Girl Handbook, or have simply grown up around other like-minded females, I am almost certain somewhere along the line “praying for your future husband” has been a topic of discussion. If not, there’s no time like the present, eh? 🙂
But hold up just a darn minute there girlfriend, what do we actually mean by praying for our futures husbands?! Like praying he has a high paying job, wash-board abs, and can meet every one of our needs and wants in life so we live happily ever after?
Lol. No. Just, no.
I read a beautiful article from Jennifer Smith on the Unveiled Wife asking the question: do I pray for my husband or about him? She touches on it for the viewpoint of an already married woman, but I believe this subject can benefit us single ladies over here.
Praying for your future husband is praying for his heart, his faith, protection, health, his mind, for God to grow him and use him, etc.
Praying about your future husband is just as I mentioned earlier, she explains it as:
Praying about my husband equates to me venting to the Lord the different ways my husband isn’t living up to the standard I have set for him, how our marriage is struggling, where my husband is wrong, and how hard it is to be me. I justify my gossip simply because my audience is the Lord.
Wow..just WOW. Can we talk about straight up conviction in the last sentence y’all?!
So in single chick terms, this means not praying to God that who he has for you lives up to YOUR standards, is a perfect human being (Have you ever met one of those? If so, let me know, because I’ve surely never met one!), praying that He would supply him with abundant money to support all your wants, etc.
*Important side note: Most parts of this post can also absolutely be applied to praying for your current boyfriend! That is something that has also been on my heart lately, as many times throughout my day God nudges on my heart to pray for my boyfriend (hey, Mark!). I admit sometimes I fall into the trap of praying ABOUT him, instead of FOR him. I’ll touch on that more later.
So, ok, how do I pray for “him”? What do I pray for? We’ve already touched on what NOT to pray for–things stemming from your fleshly desires and selfishness we are ALL prone to. Here are some great ways to pray over your future husband!
- Pray that his faith would be renewed and revived each morning. (Isaiah 40:31)
- Pray that he would feel and sense the Holy Spirit with him. (Isaiah 41:10)
- Pray for his self-esteem and that he is confident in who God crafted him to be. (Luke 12:7)
- Pray that he surrounds himself with a supportive community of like-minded believers who pour into him and keep him accountable. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)
- Pray that he would be absolutely captivated by the love of our Savior.
- Pray for his purity, that he would actively flee sexual immorality. That he would seek to hold onto his God-given gift of purity, and keep it untouched until the bounds of marriage. (1 Thessalonians 4:2-8)
- Pray that he will love you and cherish you always with the perfect love of our God. (Ephesians 5:25-30)
- Pray that God would give him to ability to build you up and be a support when times get rough.
- Pray that God would ready his heart for your “baggage” (I carry a lot 😉 )
- Pray that he is not weighed down by his past sins, failures, and baggage, but surrenders it fully to God. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- Pray that his anger would not lead him to sin and fill him with toxic rage. (Ephesians 4:26-27)
- Pray that God would continue to grow, mold, and shape him into the man of God our Creator has knitted him together to be. (Isaiah 64:8)
- Pray that he would actively pursue you everyday. (Song of Solomon)
- Pray that he would grow into a strong spiritual leader in your marriage and household. (1 Corinthians 11:3)
- Pray for his education, career and finances, that God would bless him indefinitely in these aspects in His will. (Jeremiah 29:11)
- Pray that if it is in God’s will, that He would fill him with humility, patience, strength, boldness, honesty, and a gentle spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23)
- Pray that he would keep his body healthy and take care of his temple of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 6:19)
- Pray that God shows him how to love you as much as he loves himself. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)
- Pray that he continues to love God even MORE than you. (You should love God more than anyone or anything, even your spouse!) (Luke 10:27)
- Pray that God prepares his heart to be a husband and father.
- Pray that you would be receptive of each other’s love languages and learn how to love each other better every day.
- Last but not least, pray that it all be done in God’s timing–AKA perfect timing! (Lamentations 3:25)
No this is not an end-all-be-all but more of a guide to help ease you into the right direction. There are SO many things to pray over your future husband and future marriage. Write down a few things and start a new tradition for yourself of praying often for him!
Also, as mentioned, many of these things you can absolutely pray over (in person or in private) your current boyfriend and your relationship. I personally use many of these things to pray for mine 🙂
Pray continually that God would guide you gently along the way, instructing you with each move you take. Keep in mind God has an individual journey for every person. Whether His will for your life be singleness or marriage, THRIVE in it. Bloom where you are planted. Never underestimate the power of prayer.
Join me. Wait patiently. Pursue your first love before all else–Jesus Christ.